Will flushing improve the taste of my tomatoes?
A: There is some debate among professional growers over flushing. Some would say to do it as a matter of course, some would say to do it only if there is excess salt or mineral buildup, and some would say that if you are using organic nutrients that you do not have to do it at all.
If you are using mineral or chemical based fertilizers, then flushing is a very good idea. It will help to prevent salt toxicity in your plants. Additionally, if you start to see your tomato leaves start to get brown spots, wilt, curl downward, or even die, there is a great possibility that you have excess salts and should flush immediately regardless of the stage of plant development or fruit set.
(Read also: Flushing Your Hydroponic System: Water vs. Agents)
If your system is an ebb and flood type, then it is more likely that you would want to flush your system before harvest in order to reduce the amount of mineral salts that tend to build up. Just run plain water through your system during the week leading up to harvest. As soon as the fruits start to look ripe, then is the time to start flushing. Any nutrients in the system that are not used by the plant can affect the taste and even the smell of your harvest, so flushing will help to reduce or eliminate them.
Despite any difference of opinion that is out there among growers, there is absolutely no harm in flushing your hydro solution; you should be doing that regularly anyway to keep your system in top shape and providing reliable yields and delicious tomatoes for many years to come.
More Q&As from our experts
- What method should I use to grow pineapples hydroponically?
- What are the benefits of using humic and fulvic acid are when growing cannabis in soil indoors?
- What would be the best way to plant a sprouting seed in aquaponics?
Don't Miss the Latest News From Maximum Yield!
Stay on top of new content from MaximumYield.com. Join our email newsletter and get the latest grow tips in your inbox every week.
- Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf
- Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf | Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 1:00 PM (EST)
- Upcoming Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf | Wednesday, February 19 at 1PM (ET)
- Take our grower survey for a chance to win a $500 Visa giftcard!
- Free Webinar | Grow Smarter: Technology Advances in Agriculture | November 28, 2018 @ 10:00 AM PST