What natural insect controls can you recommend for potato leafhoppers?
I would like to hear about a good control (with a more natural product) for potato leafhopper when a large population has begun life cyles in my garden. Any ideas? I should add I’ve been using insecticidal soap and I am trying to keep concentrations mild to moderate so as to avoid leaf burn.
Thank you for your question. Insecticidal soap can be an effective treatment for potato leafhoppers but can be difficult to implement because the insects must be sprayed directly. Because leafhoppers can move quickly (and usually do when they sense danger), insecticidal soap usually only makes a small dent in their overall population. My suggestion is to use an insect deterrent in conjunction with the insecticidal soap spray. This way the insects that are sprayed directly with the insecticidal soap will die off and others that are missed will be deterred from feeding on the plants. Neem oil, or products that contain azadirachtin, can be used as an effective deterrent against a number of insects, including leafhoppers. Neem oil and products that contain azadirachtin are natural and rarely cause burning or any adverse effect on vegetable plants. That being said, it is always wise to spray a small portion of your garden with any potential treatment and wait 24 hours to be sure no damage results. Thanks again for your question.
More Q&As from our experts
- How Can I Clone My Best-Producing Bell Pepper Plant?
- If I grow hot peppers and tomatoes in my growroom, should the nutrient water be separate systems? I don’t want spicy tomatoes
- As the liquid fertilizer gets used up how can I maintain the right levels of nutrients in it?
Don't Miss the Latest News From Maximum Yield!
Stay on top of new content from MaximumYield.com. Join our email newsletter and get the latest grow tips in your inbox every week.
- Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf
- Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf | Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 1:00 PM (EST)
- Upcoming Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf | Wednesday, February 19 at 1PM (ET)
- Take our grower survey for a chance to win a $500 Visa giftcard!
- Free Webinar | Grow Smarter: Technology Advances in Agriculture | November 28, 2018 @ 10:00 AM PST