Hydroponics

Share this:

Hydroponics is a subset of hydroculture, the method of growing plants without soil, using mineral nutrient solutions in a water solvent. Terrestrial plants may be grown with only their roots exposed to the mineral solution, or the roots may be supported by an inert medium, such as perlite or gravel. The nutrients in hydroponics can be from fish waste, duck manure, or normal nutrients.

Hydroponics Feature

MORE Hydroponics Articles

Waste Water and the Hydrologic Cycle Waste Water and the Hydrologic Cycle Waste Water and the Hydrologic Cycle Waste Water and the Hydrologic Cycle

We take you on a tour of our planet’s water cycle—which may or may not include alien motherships.If you're serious about your hydroponic...

Double or Nothing: A Grower's Life Double or Nothing: A Grower's Life Double or Nothing: A Grower's Life Double or Nothing: A Grower's Life

In hydroponics—as in life—it always pays to have backupAre your grow lights on? Are you sure? Maybe your timer, ballast or lamp is failing...

Get Smart - Grow Hydro: 3, 2, 1 Get Smart - Grow Hydro: 3, 2, 1 Get Smart - Grow Hydro: 3, 2, 1 Get Smart - Grow Hydro: 3, 2, 1

Grow your own hydroponically. Hydroponic gardens are great for adults and kids alike, plus they are easy on the wallet and the environment....

Reverse Osmosis: How to Get the Most out of Your RO System Reverse Osmosis: How to Get the Most out of Your RO System Reverse Osmosis: How to Get the Most out of Your RO System Reverse Osmosis: How to Get the Most out of Your RO System

Pure water is as important for your plants as it is for you. Find out how to use a reverse osmosis filter to get the most out of your...

Dissolved Oxygen: the Hidden Necessity Dissolved Oxygen: the Hidden Necessity Dissolved Oxygen: the Hidden Necessity Dissolved Oxygen: the Hidden Necessity

You can’t see it and you don’t even know it’s there—but the dissolved oxygen in your water supply is absolutely critical to maintaining the...

Take Your Growroom to the Next Level Take Your Growroom to the Next Level Take Your Growroom to the Next Level Take Your Growroom to the Next Level

A hydro shop owner discusses all of the ways she helps her customers turn their basic growrooms into super growrooms

Hydroponic Fodder Hydroponic Fodder Hydroponic Fodder Hydroponic Fodder

While fodder usually refers to dried hay or straw (typically containing things like sorghum or corn) used to feed livestock, hydroponic...

A Deep Look At Deep Water Culture A Deep Look At Deep Water Culture A Deep Look At Deep Water Culture A Deep Look At Deep Water Culture

Making the choice to garden using hydroponics is an easy one. The advantages of hydroponic gardening over traditional methods using soil...

Growing Fodder Hydroponically for Backyard Chickens Growing Fodder Hydroponically for Backyard Chickens Growing Fodder Hydroponically for Backyard Chickens Growing Fodder Hydroponically for Backyard Chickens

Raising backyard chickens is a growing trend, not only for the fun they bring to a family, but also for the added health benefits of fresh...

I’m Getting Great Results, Should I Change Something? I’m Getting Great Results, Should I Change Something? I’m Getting Great Results, Should I Change Something? I’m Getting Great Results, Should I Change Something?

One of the most common questions I hear new growers ask in my hydroponics shop is whether, after obtaining what they deem to be a good...

Latest Features