Any tips on using natural fertilizers with my fertigation system to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse?
Q: "I’m growing tomatoes in a 430,000 square foot greenhouse. I’m looking for information about bioponics, i.e., using natural fertilizer with my fertigation system."
A: Natural and organic fertilizers can be used in hydroponics. However, the process is highly technical and comes with a few challenges.
Firstly, obtaining high-quality, concentrated, natural fertilizers for commercial production is much more costly than using chemical fertilizer salts.
Secondly, growers usually have to blend many different sources to get the balance of minerals just right for heavy-feeding crops like tomatoes, and often nutrient deficiencies can become a problem.
Because natural fertilizers are often unprocessed, the system relies on strong microbe populations in the growing media and root zone to carry out mineralization of the organic nutrients to release plant-usable nutrient ions.
This process can strip oxygen from a plant’s root zone under warm growing conditions. Also, natural fertilizers are carbon-based, and as such, can ferment or go bad quickly, and they tend to block up drippers and emitters.
There are, however, a few good natural nutrient products on the market for hydroponic use that have been well-processed and mineralized and suit media-based growing systems (coconut fiber is a good substrate when using natural fertilizers and in organic systems). I advise trialing a number of these to determine which products help your crops grow best in your system.
More Q&As from our experts
- Should I use seawater to increase micronutrient content?
- Why is the nutrient solution in my closed RDWC system becoming acidic?
- Can I use electrolysis for nutrient solution in a hydroponic system for increasing the dissolved oxygen levels?
Don't Miss the Latest News From Maximum Yield!
Stay on top of new content from MaximumYield.com. Join our email newsletter and get the latest grow tips in your inbox every week.
- Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf
- Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf | Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 1:00 PM (EST)
- Upcoming Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf | Wednesday, February 19 at 1PM (ET)
- Take our grower survey for a chance to win a $500 Visa giftcard!
- Free Webinar | Grow Smarter: Technology Advances in Agriculture | November 28, 2018 @ 10:00 AM PST