What Does Isopropyl Alcohol (C3H8O) Mean?
Isopropyl alcohol is a chemical, represented by C3H8O. It is colorless, flameless, and has a strong odor. Isopropyl alcohol has a wide variety of industrial and household uses.
In horticulture, isopropyl alcohol is often used to disinfect gardening tools and surfaces, and can be used as a pesticide when applied to plants in small amounts.
It is also one of the compounds, along with butane and other forms of alcohol, that can be used in the extraction of cannabis to make cannabis oil or hashish (hash) oil, shatter, or wax.
Isopropyl alcohol is also known by its common name, rubbing alcohol, and isopropanol.
Maximum Yield Explains Isopropyl Alcohol (C3H8O)
Some concerns with traditional pesticides are the effects of long-lingering chemicals that are often harmful or fatal when ingested. Additionally, some pesticides can kill beneficial organisms. This is a particular concern with organic gardening. However, chemicals like isopropyl alcohol are thought to offer a safer alternative to traditional pesticides.
When used as a pesticide, isopropyl alcohol can be effective against mealybugs, whiteflies, aphids, and spider mites. These pests can cause the yellowing of leaves, and eventually damage and possibly kill plants.
To use as a pesticide, isopropyl alcohol should be mixed with water and used in a spray bottle. It can also be applied as a weekly treatment by administering it directly to pests using a cotton swab. This is particularly useful for houseplants. However, treatments with isopropyl alcohol may not be used on all plants, as some, like the African violet, is to sensitive isopropyl alcohol. Additionally, in higher concentrations like those at 25%, it can damage or kill plants.
When used to make any form of cannabis extract product, the higher the concentration of isopropyl alcohol, the faster the finished product is obtained. There are several different methods to derive concentrated cannabis by using isopropyl alcohol, but with all methods, it is important to make sure that the product is not consumed before the solvent has evaporated so that there is little to no risk of ingesting the isopropyl alcohol, which can be toxic.