Can you grow potatoes hydroponically?
We know many readers have been experimenting with growing different crops hydroponically. For this special Ask the Experts section, we went to the experts at Hydrofarm. Peyam Barghassa answers the question of whether or not it is possible to grow potatoes in a hydroponic system, and outlines how readers can go about doing so.
A: Growing potatoes hydroponically is easier than you might think, and a lot cleaner than growing them in soil! I use a large fabric pot filled with an absorbent, granular stonewool product.
I soak the stonewool in pH 5.5 water and let it drain, then soak it once more in pH 5.5 water with some veg nutrient. Then I fill the fabric about three-quarters of the way full and place the germinating potato pieces on the stonewool granulate.
Once this is done, I fill the fabric pot the rest of the way with more wet granulate, make up more nutrient solution and pour it over the granulate. That’s pretty much it.
Every time I water, I add a little nutrient to the water. I use nutes higher in P and K rather than N, especially at the later stages of growth. The potatoes I harvest need only a single rinse since I don’t have to scrub off any soil. Next time, I’m going to try carrots and other root crops in the granulate!
More Q&As from our experts
- What types of extracts contain the most terpenes?
- My tomato plants are flowering but they’re not producing fruit.
- The leaves of my cannabis plants are turning yellow. Is this normal?
Don't Miss the Latest News From Maximum Yield!
Stay on top of new content from MaximumYield.com. Join our email newsletter and get the latest grow tips in your inbox every week.
- Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf
- Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf | Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 1:00 PM (EST)
- Upcoming Free Webinar: Beyond the Test: How to ensure proper cannabis remediation from lab to shelf | Wednesday, February 19 at 1PM (ET)
- Take our grower survey for a chance to win a $500 Visa giftcard!
- Free Webinar | Grow Smarter: Technology Advances in Agriculture | November 28, 2018 @ 10:00 AM PST